Surfing WA governs the sport of surfing in WA and is involved in all levels of the industry from developing educational programs, training coaches and judges and creating pathways. Advocacy projects such as NoTxtNoWrecks have been created and are designed to keep surfers safe in and out of the water.
Surfing WA developed a simple and easily understood message: No Txt No Wrecks, which aimed to change driver behaviour, help reduce the number of people being killed or seriously injured due to driver distraction and above all getting the community to their chosen surf spot safely.
Some of the project inclusions:
- Driver Distraction Policy, implemented to change mobile phone use culture in Surfing WA
- A code of conduct to encourage the Surfing WA Board, staff, boardriding clubs and registered surf schools to adhere to the policy outlining safer driver practices
- Promotion of the NoTxt NoWrecks through a selection of influential high-profile surfing heroes demonstrating safer driving practices before setting out on their journey
- Implementation of a Safe Driver pledge/rewards programs at events
- Rewards program, to recognize people that demonsted safe driver practices.
- A safe driver competition-based sign up/tag us in and win surf related prizes to continually evaluate progress of the NoTxtNoWreck campaign project Leadership program
- PA Announcements at all Surfing WA events: Social Media - Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo and EDMs Events & on Beach Promotion. Event lock ups and signage, Promotional Items Ambassadors Print media Road Safety Partner Benefits
Surfing WA is very passionate about keeping the project at the forefront of their advocacy strategy, keeping members safe in and out of water, they value the importance of consistently promoting and activating the NoTxtNoWrecks project.
Surfing WA has established relationships with regional police and local government officers in Margaret River, Busselton, Dunsborough, Mandurah, Dongara and Geraldton. All parties recognise the project importance and support the message. Surfing WA is also opening up conversation with corporate partners to attract future support for the program to ensure it future sustainability